OSMA Seeks Interim Journal Editor
After nearly 20 years of dedicated service, Dr. Michael Pontious is planning to step down as editor of the OSMA Journal. As such, we are beginning the search process for an interim editor who can ensure the Journal continues to meet the high standards the publication demands. The position is open to OSMA members in good standing and the specific requirements can be seen below. If you or a colleague are interested or would like more information, please send your resume or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
OSMA Journal Editor Position Description
The Editor is responsible for the overall editorial direction and content of OSMA Journal, the Oklahoma State Medical Association’s peer-reviewed, scientific journal. Primary focus is on guiding the journal to consistent high quality and fulfillment of its mission: to provide a vehicle for professional communications and continuing education for Oklahoma physicians and other health professionals.
The Journal Editor has overall accountability and responsibility for:
- The publication of high quality issues according to a predetermined publication schedule that reflects the mission and learning areas.
- The pipeline of articles for future issues, assigning articles to the appropriate associate editor or reviewer, following up with associate editors and reviewers to ensure articles are moving through the editorial process and ensuring that resources are in place to meet both quality and production schedule requirements.
- Working with OSMA staff to shape the strategy and direction of the journal including initiatives to expand circulation, reader impact and profitability.
Key Responsibilities Include
- Working to set and enforce publication standards for published content.
- Representing the publication externally.
- Providing direction and guidance to associate editors and reviewers.
- Appointing, directing and managing special issue editors and special feature editors; providing direction and guidance to ensure success.
- Soliciting appropriate editorial contributions.
- Recommending the appointment of editorial board members.
- Meeting regularly (in-person or electronically) with associate editors and staff for coordination and status updates.
- Sets agenda for and leads editorial board meetings.
- Makes both preliminary and final decisions on acceptance or rejection of manuscripts.
- Suggests reviewers for manuscripts and/or assigns manuscripts to associate editor.
- Reviews manuscripts.
- Provides feedback to authors, including publication decisions.
- Writes editorial column for each issue of Journal (currently monthly).
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Active MD or DO license in good standing required; if not already an OSMA member, will be required to join if hired
- Previous publication in peer-reviewed journal.
- Possesses a broad medical vantage point.
- Extensive knowledge of research methods.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Prior editorial board experience. (Preferred)
- Able to understand, assess and advise on the medical, social, political and economic aspects of the health care marketplace as it impacts on the Society and its physician members.
- Demonstrated success planning and executing strategies designed to meet organizational communications objectives.
- Ability to work under time constraints and to effectively supervise associate editors and reviewers to ensure deadlines are met.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with variety of individuals, including staff, editorial board colleagues and authors.
- Familiarity with MS Office and/or Google Drive.